The Buffalo Bills and Rex Ryan gave Richie Incognito a chance in 2015, following his release from the Miami Dolphins due to his involvement in a bullying scandal in 2013. Incognito has now reportedly agreed to a new three-year deal with the Bills that is worth $15 million, according to multiple sources, including NFL Network Insider Ian Rapport.
The #Bills deal for G Richie Incognito is 3 years worth roughly $15M, source said. So, $5M per year. Not bad.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 8, 2016
There have been multiple reports that the Bills and Incognito had been far apart in terms of a new deal and were even trying to lowball the guard, but those reports appear to be mere rumors now.
Ryan said that he wanted to build a bully when he first took over as the Bills new head coach prior to the 2015 season, and Incognito fit perfectly into that plan. Buffalo had the NFL’s best rushing attack and players like Incognito and Cordy Glenn were a big reason the Bills were able to push teams around.
Limited cap space is the main reason that the Bills were expected to lose Glenn and possibly Incognito, but Buffalo turned a negative into a major positive in a short period. The team is expected to be quietly active once the new league year starts on March 9, but locking up two of its best offensive lineman was something that needed to be done to remain competitive in the AFC East.
As the NFL draft crawls even closer, Buffalo needs to focus on the defensive side of the ball and look for another strong wide receiver in free agency. After Robert Nkemdiche‘s draft stock started to plummet because of an off-the-field incident, there is a chance that the Bills set their sights on the Ole Miss defensive lineman.