Prince’s toxicology report is startling.
Pop icon Prince tragically lost his life back in 2016 after collapsing at his home in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Many had believed that the singer had passed away due to a drug overdose, but it had not been confirmed until later on that it was in fact due to an overdose.
Now, the toxicology report reveals just how bad the overdose truly was.
Just shy of two years after the passing of the musician, a toxicology report, per Billboard, reveals that Prince had an “exceedingly high” level of the drug Fentanyl in his system when he was found unresponsive. Fentanyl, a synthetic opioid, is 50 times more powerful than heroin.
Dr. Lewis Nelson revealed that the high level of the opioid was strange even for someone who had chronic pain and called the excess of the drug “a pretty clear smoking gun.”
According to popcrush.com, “the concentration of fentanyl in Prince’s blood was 67.8 micrograms per liter. This is significant because fatalities have been documented in people with blood levels ranging from three to 58 micrograms per liter.”
“Dr. Charles McKay, president of the American College of Medical Toxicology, said generally speaking, the findings suggest Prince took the drug orally, while fentanyl in the blood and liver suggest it had some time to circulate before he died.”
Following his passing, authorities found various pills throughout Prince’s Paisley Park estate with a lab report revealing that most of the pills tested positive for Fentanyl and other drugs. However, it has not been revealed as to whether or not he was prescribed the medications or he obtained them in some other manner.
The lead prosecutor in the Minnesota county where Prince resided stated that he would be looking over law enforcement reports to decide whether or not to charge anyone in the death of the purple-clad performer.
The passing of Prince was tragic in both the loss of a life and an icon, but also in the years since as more information has been released illuminating his struggles with opioid use.